3.24.2009

FAQ's



Some of the questions I've fielded over the past week or so as the topic of my upcoming triathlon has come up in conversation:

"What exactly is a triathlon?" A triathlon is an athletic endurance event consisting of three disciplines: swimming, biking, and running. The three disciplines are completed back-to-back-to-back to comprise a single event. My event is considered a Sprint distance, which equals a 1/3 mile open water swim, an 18 mile bike ride, and a 3.1 mile run.

"Can you post some pictures of you training?" Maybe you don't really believe I am doing all of this? Above is a picture of me during my 20 mile ride on the Silver Comet Trail this past Saturday. I'll try to do better and remember to get more photo ops of my training. But I can't promise that they'll be pretty to look at! ;-)

"What's your favorite sport of the 3 so far?" Lucky for me, I really enjoy all 3 - just differently. Swimming has been exhilarating, because I've learned so much and improved so much in such a short time...it truly has opened up a "whole new world" of working out for me. And, as an added benefit, I sleep like a rock after I swim! Biking, well - I've always loved riding my bike, whether it be mountain biking and now road biking. I just love the distance you can travel on a bike, and all the scenery you can take in during a ride. Finally, running... I do really enjoy running once I get going. The first 1/2 mile or so is always tough for me, but once I get past that point, I relax. I either get into my music, or a conversation with my running mates, or sometimes just my own thoughts. I always feel amazing after a good run.

"Why are you doing this?" What began as somewhat of a personal challenge has become much bigger. I am doing this to challenge myself to make a difference in the lives of others. Everyone has the opportunity to give back to society in countless ways. Today, this is my way.

I'm "TRI"-ing to save lives... want to help? http://pages.teamintraining.org/ga/IronGirl09/alisejackson

No comments: